Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Medical Care In Cuenca

I had my first encounter with the medical system here in Cuenca. 

I would like to start with a little background info.

When we were researching our move to Ecuador, we left several messages on blogs of people that had moved here, we asked their opinions about getting medical insurance.  It is such an important thing to have in the US, so we were curious.  Not one person we contacted responded to our questions.  We think we understand why there was total silence on this subject.  Medical care here is a FRACTION of the cost in the US, and we think alot of Ex-Pats don't bother to buy it. 

We bought health insurance anyway.  We thought it was a prudent thing to do. 
Our policy expired on August 24, so we had made arrangements with another company that will cover us anywhere in South America, a small policy to cover expenses in the US and Europe, and for some reason they throw in a life insurance policy, and travel insurance.  We were scheduled to sign the paperwork this morning, it just made us feel better to have something to cover medical bills.

OK, back to the original story.

We had some house guests last night and I was chopping up a watermelon, with a very, very sharp knife.  Well, it went right through the rind, into my index finger on my left hand.  Don't mean to be gross, but blood starting squirting EVERYWHERE, all over the dishes that our guests would be eating on, just everywhere.  Michael wanted me to go to an ER, but me, being the stubborn person that I am,  just kept saying, "Honey, it is just a cut, it will be fine". 

This morning when I took the bandaid off, I got kinda queasy, it looked pretty bad.  We had washed the fruits and vegetables that we were going to eat last night, that would have the skin on, the  tomatos and lettuce, etc.,  in a "special" liquid we buy here.  But the watermelon had a rind and we were just going to eat the "flesh", so I didn't wash it.  This morning I thought that the "cut" might have bacteria contamination so I decided to go to the Doc.  And believe me, I am not one for doctors. 

We already had the appointment to sign the papers for our health insurance this morning so we went and did that first, we won't be covered for 30 days, so we knew we had to pay for the treatment I was going to need at the hospital. 

We walked over to the hospital, and were directed to the ER.  NO WAITING.  They examined my hand and asked if I wanted a plastic surgeon so that I wouldn't have a scar.  I laughed and said no.  The doctor and nurse were so gentle, explained everything in English (well the doctor spoke English, the nurse not so much, but when we explained in our broken Spanish that we were trying to learn the language, she smiled and did her best in English.)  Michael stayed with me, they gave me an anesthetic to numb my finger, and some sutures for the cut. The doctor inquired about my medical history, allergys, etc.  He decided I needed to have a Tetanus shot and pain meds.  Pain medication here is simply Ibuprofen.  Narcotic drugs containing codeine or stuff like that are STRICKLY monitored, and rarely prescribed.  I didn't need that stuff anyway, it was just a cut.  They did not want to bandage the "wound", they believe fresh air will help it heal quicker, so I feel kinda weird walking around with thread hanging out of my finger.  LOL!!

We were seen in an ER within minutes, a deep cut was anesthetized, sterilized and sutured,  I was given a Tetanus shot, and my medical history was inquired about.   I think the Doctor spent about a about 45 minutes with me.  I was VERY well cared for.

The cost for the care for all of this treatment was $44.00.  My follow up visit will be free.

Michael took pictures of the event in the hospital, but since I am the one that posts the blogs, I overroad the idea of including pictures.

I do have to say the Doctor was great, but looking at him, I would have assumed he was about 12 years old. Too Funny.


Ecuador, gotta love it. 


 

4 comments:

Al Bourassa said...

Good information to know.
Glad you didn't slice the finger right off.
Cheers,
Al

Teague's said...

Hence the reason I too am ready to leave the U.S.

Teague's said...

Oh!! But so happy you were taken care of!!! Sooooo very glad you decided to see a doc! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Liked both stories, the blog and medical care. Thanks for all the pic's, helps to see with you all see. kem