Monday, October 1, 2012

Michael is Back, YEAH!!

I have been living a fairly quiet existence since September 11.   Michael went to Florida to visit his family and I stayed in Cuenca.  The idea of two airfares was something we didn't want to do, we live a comfortable life here, but we do try to watch our finances.  Oscar and I hung out together passing the days with long walks on the road behind the house (the one that the Coopera truck picks up the produce from) and I made several "friends" with the people working the fields.  As usual, we couldn't communicate, but their huge smiles were always the same.  Ecuadorians get a huge kick out of Oscar, you don't see too many little guys that look like him, and the local people literally crack up when they see him, he is a total ice breaker.  During the time Michael was gone I had lots of time to think, reflect on my life, and our move to Ecuador.  I can say that I feel like the luckiest person in the world, I have a great life, with the love of my life,  I missed him more than I can say,  BUT, Michael is home now!!!  Yeah!

Part of Michael's plan during his visit to his Mom's house was to bring back some of our photo albums.  When we made the move, we had to choose what we were going to bring with us, things that would fit in suitcases.  It was easy to get rid of some "stuff", but really hard to leave some things behind, on the top of the list (besides our family and friends) were our photo albums.  Michael and I have been taking pictures, of everyone and everything, since we were in high school.  We have our life history in those albums, but they were just too heavy to pack.   Michael left here with one HUGE suitcase, and two smaller ones packed inside.  When he returned he brought about 20 of our photo albums with him (along with Coleman's Mustard, Taco Seasoning, a new Sonicare toothbrush,  and other things we cannot buy here)  We have a bunch more to get, but he lugged three suitcases, for a total weight of 150 pounds back to Cuenca.  Before we left the States we had sent some of our negatives to a company to have them professionally scanned, so we brought those CD's with us, but when I got to look through the actual albums Michael brought home, I literally cried.  It was so nice to have some of our photos here in Cuenca.  Family and friends are now with us again. 

We still have many albums left at Michael's Moms house, but he managed to bring back several that were designated as "Family".  I saw photographs I haven't seen in over a year, it brought us smiles, laughter, and for me, tears.

It was great timing, Michael got back last Thursday, and it gave me a chance to scan some photos to share with family.  My Uncle, that I worked with for over 15 years, has a birthday today, and my only sister has a birthday tomorrow, so I made Animoto videos to help celebrate their special days.  I couldn't have done it without our photo albums.

Here are the Animoto Videos, my Uncle's is the first one, and my sister's is the second. If you click on them you should get a link to see the videos.  Give it a try, Animoto is such a great way to share memories (No, I don't get $$ for promoting their service, I just think it is fun and very cool)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  WE LOVE YOU!!!!

Uncle Brian

Copy of My Animoto Video

Kathleen Murray-Russell
Copy of My Animoto Video

By the way, I went with our trusted driver Manny to Guayaquil to pick Michael up at the airport.  We have been through the Caja's at night several times,  it can be scary.  This trip was astoundingly BEAUTIFUL.  It didn't rain and and the moon was full, so the light was amazing.  We saw the silhouettes of the mountains, and tons of stars.  It was a perfect ride home with my husband. We wish we could have stopped and taken photographs!!!! 

Gotta love Ecuador!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bus riding in Cuenca always seemed like an adventure ride to me. What a picture to have, guy with nails up his nose. Think of the headache! Loved the story. KEM