Thursday, October 11, 2012

Traveling on the buses in Cuenca

I have read that some people are reluctant to use the bus system in Cuenca.  We find it incredibly useful.  Now that the new intersection at Las Americas and Ordonez Lasso is back open, it is even better.

We are always mindful of our wallets, camera's etc., as we would have always been while traveling on the "L" in Chicago, no different. 

I have NEVER felt any concern about traveling on the bus by myself, and certainly, Michael wouldn't let me travel by bus alone if he thought I would be in any jeopardy.

OK, that said, we saw a very interesting thing on the bus on Monday.

A guy got on the bus, and he started speaking fairly loud, we thought he must have been a guy "preaching".  It happens occasionally that you get people on the bus selling Gum, candy, whatever,  but this this guy was loud, really loud.

It was the first time that I was happy I wasn't alone on the bus.  The guy made me uncomfortable.  Most Ecuadorian men are even smaller than me, and I KNEW this guy wouldn't take Michael on, but it was still weird.  

Apparently the guy was a religious man, but his loud ranting made me feel uncomfortable, I just kept looking out the window, SO, I did not see him put the four inch nails UP BOTH OF HIS NOSTRILS!!!  OMG, OMG.  God guy or not, that was just too weird.   Out of the corner of my eyes, I was trying to see what what was going on, while not actually looking. I asked Michael if what I thought I had seen, was what I actually had seen, a guy with nails hanging out of his nose, and Michael said yeah, the guy stuffed nails up his nose. 

That was the weirdest thing I have experienced on any city bus system.  NAILS, UP THE GUYS NOSE!!!   

I have to admit, I have seen alot of bizarre stuff while riding public transportation in Chicago, but this experience ranks right up there.

Ok, so that was strange, but yesterday we were on the bus going to El Centro and the bus stopped at a "Non-Bus" stop to let a blind guy on.  He had a guitar and his blind walking stick, once he was on the bus he found a place to stand between the seats, and he serenaded the passengers with an incredibly beautiful voice.  I felt like Michael and I were in the movie Shawshank Redemption, you know that scene where the inmates don't know what the "Italian Lady" is singing about.  His voice was beautiful but the songs were in Spanish so we didn't know what he was singing about, but it was incredible.

After he was done, he felt his way down the the aisle of the bus, he didn't have his hand out, but we followed what the Ecuadorians on the bus were doing, they would simply grab his hand and give him a coin, so we did as well.

Cuenca,  gotta love it.

 

2 comments:

Al Bourassa said...

Nails up his nose eh.... Yup, that is definitely a new one.
Got a new bus book today and they don't have the maps anymore, just what streets they run on. Bummer.

Badmotascooter said...

Mayne the guy was into vomit rock? It could happen!
John